Gail Lowe – Owner, Principal and Head Teacher at Devon Academy
My name is Gail Lowe, I am principal of Devon Academy of Complementary Therapies, which I established in 2004 after helping my partner with his disappointing massage training. I was teaching massage at a local college, when I realised that I wanted to improve the training and delivery of the ITEC and CPD courses available in the industry, if only for my own students and 2700 students later I am loving every minute of it and feel that I am really making a difference.
I came into massage from a medical background and have worked in most departments in a variety of roles including general and psychiatric nursing. I was also a medical rep’ for Pfizer. I have been lucky enough to have a very successful full time career as a therapist and built an excellent reputation in Barnstaple massaging and teaching in and around the NHS for 25 years before moving to Exeter in 2011. Now I train doctors, physiotherapists, men and women from all professions from all walks of life, in the ancient and therapeutic art of massage!
I specialise in teaching a variety of massage techniques including my favourites: clinical aromatherapy and sports massage at Devon Academy and my colleagues are experienced massage therapists and teachers! We are all still in clinical practice and keeping in touch with clients on the coal face, rather than just in the classroom.
- We specialise in Massage training because that’s what I know and have been doing successfully since 1986. My classes are small so that my students have personal, individual training and support.
- We are passionate and enthusiastic and have taught over 2700 students in over 14 years and have achieved a consistent 100% pass rate and a below average drop out rate.
- We teach very thorough, tried and tested massage techniques and believe that initially you are only as good a therapist, as the person who taught you!
- Our online learning for the Anatomy, Physiology and Pathology and theory aspects of the course are fun, innovative and professional. Our students are very happy with their e learning course and feedback is excellent! Although delivered through Online E Learning this course is a government recognised and accredited Level 3 Diploma recognised worldwide.
- We are very interested in delivering the “whole package” as a massage career, not just the training, but support, advice and mentoring to help you succeed in your new business. Sharing our knowledge and experience along the way, offering “one to one” and bespoke courses and a full range of CPD workshops to keep you at the “top of your game and better than your competitors”
- We love the “One to One” CPD sessions as “It allows us the freedom to go “off piste” and adapt the session to suit your individual needs as a therapist rather than being restricted by a schedule.
“I trained with some of the Industries best and most famous therapists and authors”!
- Professor Arnold Taylor founder of ITEC – I studied AP&P with him at Imperial College, London in 1986
- Shirley Price, Aromatherapist and author – I studied aromatherapy with her in Hinckley in 1989
- Lars Peterson author of Sports Injuries – I studied Remedial Massage with him at the NIM in 1993
- Eddie Caldwell founder of NIM and Author recommended by BMA in 1994
- Narinda Mehta, – who brought Indian Head Massage to London in 1956 taught me in 1999
- Jane Scrivener – Lastone Therapy at Stratford upon Avon studied with them in 2004
“At Devon Academy we believe passion and dedication gives inspiration to our students, who are of all ages and all walks of life. We have a very different approach to teaching and believe that this appeals to all types of students, whatever their needs.”
The ITEC examiner told me in April 2017;
“Devon Academy’s worst student is better than most other colleges best”
Derek Lowe – Part time tutor
Derek has 25 years business experience in the hotel industry and after being greatly inspired by Gail’s success and career was prompted to become her first massage student in 2004. Derek became a qualified teacher in 2006 and has been teaching part time, specialising in teaching Reflexology at Devon Academy. He is a qualified, Sports and Deep Tissue Massage therapist as well as a Reflexologist and has his own successful therapy practice offering treatments in Chiropractors, Care homes and Offices in Exeter.